NON-DELIVERY of: Word Problems

Subject: NON-DELIVERY of: Word Problems
From: Lotus -dot- M -dot- a -dot- i -dot- l -dot- Exchange -at- TESSPO-VA -dot- SMTRW -dot- LANGATE -dot- SPRINT -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 07:47:00 -0400

--fVIij7GhjRAlRcaQNlPOMsazPeZoIQfi

Delivery Failure Report

Your document:
Word Problems
could not be delivered to:
Ronni Perry -at- CRWMS at DL-Notes -at- DL_CCMAIL
because:
MailEx0010: cc:Mail user name too long.
Routing path:
DLLN2,DLLN2,DLLN2,DLLN2

________________________

--fVIij7GhjRAlRcaQNlPOMsazPeZoIQfi

RFC-822-Headers:
Comments: To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu

--fVIij7GhjRAlRcaQNlPOMsazPeZoIQfi

Text item: Text_1

Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I feel obligated to say
something about Word. I'm trying to do a document in it, but I'm
finding that I'm spending much more time working "around" problems
with the software than I am actually working. Granted, I am a novice
user, but I have had classes and sufficient time to "play around" with
it. That also means that I have something to compare it to.

Two main items: The files are HUGE!!!! Not just big mind you, but
HUGE! Does anyone know WHY this is? Specifically, I have a 51-page
chapter (yes, it has graphics). The first time I saved it, it was 23
Mb (that's not a typo). The next time I saved it, it *amazingly*
shrunk down to a mere 11 Mb (sarcasm intended). What's going on?

The second main problem I have with it is that it is virtually
impossible to set things *exactly* where you want them (including, but
not limited to, headers and footers).

And those are just the highlights.

IMO, when you find yourself having to work around so many problems,
the software needs to go.

A debate need not begin. I am writing this for the sole purpose of
warning tech writers who are deciding what to use. I realize there are
a few people who actually like the software, but even they must admit
that there are *many* problems with it. I will agree that many of the
concepts are great. Unfortunately, in my experience, most of the
concepts don't actually work.

Just my opinion,
Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com