Re: What to call the beige box...

Subject: Re: What to call the beige box...
From: Ed Rush <EdRush -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 06:15:43 -0400

>But as tech writers, ought we not to be conscious of
>speaking with soem accuracy?
> ***
>Herman Holtz

Uh, yes.

"System unit" is what IBM uses for The Box. Apple tends to have things
plugged into "the Macintosh," and thereby avoids having to use such a general
term. "System," of course, is that remarkable vague word that can mean just
about anything from a LAN full of servers to a subroutine. "CPU" is
meaningless to Joe Whatsacomputer, aside from being yet another TLA.

Much as it galls me to agree with IBM, it does seem to be a good term for the
thing.

- Ed Rush