Re: help! online help tools for unix

Subject: Re: help! online help tools for unix
From: Breault Research Organization <breault -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:01:14 -0700

> Phil Block <pblock -at- EXECPC -dot- COM> wrote:

>My project involves creation of three paper manuals, but now the
>customer is asking about on-line help, too. I am familiar with
>standard Windows help tools like D2H, RoboHelp, ForeHelp, etc., but
>I'm a UNIX newbie. Do any tools exist to create help that can be
>grafted onto an existing UNIX application? What are my options?

I may have some leads regarding the unix platforming problem. We are also
creating online help that will platforms. At the STC conference the only
vendor I could find that had a product allowing you to take your window's
help files to unix was Hyperhelp from bristol technology inc.
(203-438-6969). However, they are really pricey ($2500 for the compiler,
each viewer is an additional $2500). As our unix platform support
activities won't take place until much later in the year, I haven't done
much more research.

But I did see a blurb in the windows help journal that said Wextech
(212-949-9595) was coming out with Hyperformance Viewer for only $75 to
$100! You can bet that perked up my ears. The blurb said the files can run
under Unix without modification or recompilation, which would be a godsend.

So there's my two cents worth. I have more info from hyperhelp users
(names, experiences, etc.), so mail me directly if you are interested. Also
there is a winhelp discussion list you should join.

If anyone else has info, please post to the list. TTFN.

Former Lurker,

CD McLean
Doc wonk
Breault Research Organization
Breault -at- primenet -dot- com

All opinions are my own. No one else would want them. 8-)