Replies to my question about library control programs

Subject: Replies to my question about library control programs
From: Jennifer Lautz <lautz -at- FORTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 08:36:22 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about library control
software! Just getting a list of product names to run around and ask about
will save us a lot of time. Also we have a couple more workarounds to try
until we get a system set up.

A few people asked me to post the answers I received, so here they are
(replies are listed in the order received) . . .

Jen
My original question:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for library control (check-in/check-out)
> software we could use with FrameMaker files? We are currently trying to
> tell each other when we're working on something, but we've had some
> accidents with overwriting that have been very frustrating.
Ken d'Albenas (kendal -at- Autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca) replied:

When you open a FM document, doesn't FM create a ".lck" file on your
system? The purpose of that feature is so that if one person tries
to open a file while someone else is already working on it, a window
pops up telling you that the file is in use, and the name of the user.
A person is free to ignore the warning, but that's a procedural issue,
not a software issue.

(Me again)
> I think we are aware of this capability, but if we work directly on the
> copies of the documents we keep on the server (I *think* that's what you
> mean?), our performance is VERY slow. We have some pretty hefty files, and
> its painful to keep a number of files open at the same time (xrefs) from
> the server. If you do this, how do you get around the network performance
> issues?

Ah, that clarifies the situation.
I gather your people are using "cp" command to copy the master doc onto their
local disks, working off that, and then copying back over the original
on the server.

There are lots of ways to work around the problem you describe, but none is
bullet-proof. I understand now why you wanted a checkin-checkout program.

Unix systems usually come with SCCS and/or RCS. Most of these programs,
however, are designed to warehouse source code (ASCII text files) and keep
track of differences. They're _lousy_ at handling binary files like FM,
though their weakness is mainly in the area of document comparison, not simple
checkin-checkout.

It sounds like you're not looking for revision control, just checkin/checkout
control. Do you have anyone who knows how to write scripts? The method we used
to use here used scripts like this:
1. Person who wants to edit a file types "checkout <file path>"
2. The checkout script does the following:
a) copies the file into the current directory
b) moves the original into a checkout subdirectory
c) records the checkout in a librarian file
(Note: if the requested file doesn't exist, the script checks the master
file to
see who checked it out and reports the results to the requestor)
3. When finished with the file, the person closes it and then types
"checkin <file name> <directory path>.
4. The checkin script moves the file <file name> from the current directory to
<directory path>/<file name> and then edits the librarian file

Pete (pewan -dot- wbst129 -at- xerox -dot- com) replied:

I have over the last few weeks been investigating the same options, but not for
a MAC environment. There are many configuration management tools available,
but not many for MAC users.

If all you need is the check-in/check-out functions for file locking you may
want to investigate GNU freeware. I haven't pursued this avenue, but I
understand it may be available.

Most CM tools are based on software source revision control and are probably
more than you need for document management, and therefore the larger cost. The
vendors that I have come across that state MAC support are:

SourceSafe Microsoft 800-426-9400
MKS Source Integrity MKS Inc. 519-884-2251
Powerline Software Source Control 206-623-9204
Voodoo UNI Software Plus Austria - voodoo -at- unisoft -dot- co -dot- at

Amy Colannino (acc -at- ch -dot- inri -dot- com) replied:

Until you implement an automated file control/sharing system, a simple
solution may be to require that everyone insert a bullet and their initials
in front of the filename that they're about to open and edit. We used this
technique for a while (same configuration as yours -- FrameMaker on Macs,
backing up to a UNIX server) and found it more reliable and less
time-consuming than having to verbally contact every person who may be
interested in getting into the file. When the person is finished with the
file, he/she removes the bullet and initials, signalling that the file is
again available to someone else.

Of course, a file control system is still the best way to go.

Cyndi Nather (cnather -at- cisco -dot- com) replied:

You might check into CMS (Configuration Management System), by
Workgroup Technologies. Tho' it's not perfect, it does a pretty
good job.

Salut!
Cyndi

Beth Hartzell (BHartzell -at- minitab -dot- com) replied:

We (a group of 5) use FM 4.0 for Windows, storing all shared files on a
network drive. FM 4.0 for Windows provides a Network File Locking option
under Preferences, which handles this perfectly for our needs. If you try to
open a file someone else is using, you get a message box which tells you who
has it open and when they opened it; you then have the option to: open it in
"view only" mode, open a COPY for editing, or reset the lock and open it if
you know the other person doesn't really have it open (e.g., their system
crashed while they had it open a couple days ago). I'd like to think this
option is available on FM 4 for Mac, too.

This will NOT provide a log of check-in/check-out, though, if you need that,
too.

Joyce Flaherty (flahertj -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com) replied:

Ask Sue Gallagher. She is active on the list.
She is not in Marketing, but if you ask her directly,
she will tell you about Versions for Documents.
I have a copy, but I don't know it well enough to
comment.

Of course, there is always the UNIX SCCS product.
Every library package commercially available is based
on SCCS anyway. I am using a DOS to UNIX conversion
program and SCCS on the Sun to track source/doc changes.
I intend to use the Starbase Versions product to replace
my home-grown system.

Jan Boomsliter (boom -at- cadence -dot- com) replied:

Assign a librarian and a server where files are archived. Use these
rules about archiving: a doc is archived (only by the librarian, with
no permissions to anybody for anything) when it is signed off and/or
released (or whatever is your cutoff designator). The librarian copies
an archived doc only to whomever is assigned to do the next rev., when
the manager makes the assignment.

The goal is to assure that the archives are the latest released
version; the copy held by the assigned writer is the only "in progress"
file; any and all other copies are considered "as is" (and are to be
avoided like the plague, but when that pesky somebody insists that he
see it right this minute, you send it with all caveats).

Josee Sevigny (joseey -at- m3isystems -dot- qc -dot- ca)

On UNIX there is something called rcs. I don't know anything else about it.

Jennifer Lautz
869-2032