Library control software (file check-in and check-out)

Subject: Library control software (file check-in and check-out)
From: Jennifer Lautz <lautz -at- FORTE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 15:55:41 -0700

I don't recall hearing any discussions about this kind of thing in the last
year or two, so forgive me if this is in the archives somewhere already . .

Do any of you have suggestions for a good library control program (file
check-in and check-out).

We have been trying to use the "verbal method" of file control, where
someone tells someone else "I am working on this file. Stay out."
Unfortunately, we've lost several days work with this method, when the
lines of communication broke down, so we'd prefer to let the computer
handle the coordination, if possible.

We are creating and maintaining our documents using FrameMaker on Macs
(MacOS 7.5), and then backing up the files to a UNIX machine via AppleTalk
(PacerShare and EtherTalk). I think we can change the way we access this
server machine if we need to for a good library control program.

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer Lautz lautz -at- forte -dot- com
Technical Writer (510) 869-2032
Forti Software, Inc.
1800 Harrison St.
Oakland, CA 94612