[no subject]

> Twenty-five years ago, at the dawn of the word processing age, nobody
would
> have attempted half of the things that routinely appear on the pages of
> technical manuals today.

Thirty years ago, half of the things we did in tech. manuals are
no longer being done. Then, we had a stable of graphic artists and
designers to help us illustrate concepts and do page layout. Now,
unless the graphics are screen copies or clip-art silliness, very
little useful conceptual illustration gets put into tech. publications
at an OEM level.

To wit: when was the last time you read anything on TECHWR-L from
a tech. illustrator/graphic designer? Is there such a person in the
business any more?

In the area of free-hand graphic support and conceptual illustration,
computimation hasn't done that much for technical communication, IMHO...
the quality of PC paint/Corel Draw have a way to go to equal the good
old days of even the simplest handdrawn graphic illustration and design.

J. Shaw