Re: "one action per step"

Subject: Re: "one action per step"
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 12:12:27 -0700

Bev Parks answered Jan Boomsliter this way...

> > From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- cadence -dot- com>
> > Hmmm. Why would one "type," i.e., write something without entering it?

> If this is your assumption, then it is even more supporting of
> the theory that one can combine two steps by saying

> Enter your password.

> What those three words really mean is

> 1. Type your password.
> 2. Press the Enter key.

The type vs. enter instruction is one that I frequently use --
and for the audience that I support, it seems to be an expected
convention. (Developers in a Windows environment now, but I've
done the same in OS/2 and Unix instructions)

When would you type without entering??? When you're in a GUI
environment, there are multiple text entry fields on a dialog
box, the tab and arrow keys (or the mouse) navigates from
field to field, and the OK button has a "return key method"
attached to it so that hitting enter is the same as clicking
the OK button.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com