Re: Communicator or Writer?

Subject: Re: Communicator or Writer?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 10:01:55 -0700

Dawn wrote...

> I would like to know if the majority of this list's subscribers feel they are
> technical "writers" or "communicators." "Communicator" to me denotes a
> broader visual than "writer," allowing the imagination to roam beyond
> solitary computer keyboard pecking to more prosocial activities. These terms
> are interchangeable for some and very dissimilar for others. This topic is of
> interest to me as I wonder if there is a division among members of the
> profession concerning these terms. When did the term "communicator" begin to
> prevail?

> I realize a lot of people began their careers as either "writers" or
> "communicators" and so logically speaking, mere habit can account for a
> majority of this diversity. I prefer the seemingly outdated "writer" myself
> based on gut-feeling more than anything else.

Well, Dawn...

I started out as a *writer* (several hundred years ago),
but not as *only* a writer, a writer/trainer -- where I
developed (wrote) curriculum and taught classes for
corporate clients.

And then, for a while, I worked *only* as a writer because
my responsibilities *only* had to do with writing manuals.

A few years back, I stopped being a *writer* and became
a *communicator*. Why? Because my responsibilities encompass
more than just writing a book. I am now totally involved with
the overall communication needs of the product. This includes
helping with the user interface, designing the on-screen
graphics (including finding the best metaphore for new
toolbar buttons), developing the online help, *and* writing
the user manual.

So, at this stage in my career, I prefer the *communicator*
label because it says more about what I do.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com