Political Correctness

Subject: Political Correctness
From: Lisa Pena <pena -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 15:49:07 MST

I've been following this thread with interest, mostly to get a feel for
how people would respond. I personally wouldn't want to offend anyone
with my speech and feel we should choose our words wisely, but this
politically correctness, in my opinion, has really gotten out of
hand. It's gotten to the point where you can't say anything without
people reading into what you're saying and finding any word or words
to get offended by; they'll twist your words to somehow prove their
point, even though you weren't saying that at all.

It gets tiring and frustrating to try to communicate in this kind of
environment. I agree with the statements made by the Soundman:

(snip)

> ><sigh> Jennie, you were right... people completely ignoring the point and
some
> >>95% of the actual text of the message and spewing about one little analogy.

> THIS IS NOT WHAT THE MESSAGE WAS ABOUT.

> Maybe for YOU it conjures up distracting images. Please don't presume to
> speak for me or the rest of the group.

> This is my whole problem with the subject in my previous paragraph - the
> assumption that every little thing someone says or does has some sort of deep,
> hidden meaning that is probably INTENDED to be offensive to someone,
> subconsciously or otherwise, that must be flushed out.

> Sorry to disappoint, but there was NO meaning to that anology other than the
> obvious.

> Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
> do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
> reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
> marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
> being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446

(snip)

Hear, hear! Let's let people talk without giving their words new
offensive meanings; let's try to hear what they're really saying
without getting caught up in this.

Lisa Pena
pena -at- mmsi -dot- com
Tucson, AZ USA