Re: User interface

Subject: Re: User interface
From: Alexander von Obert <avobert -at- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 09:39:44 GMT

Hello,

Margaret Gerard <margaret%mailhost -at- toshiba -dot- tic -dot- oz -dot- au> wrote:

>Hi Techwhirlers,

>In past discussions of the scope of tech writer work, people have
>occasionally mentioned being involved in the design and creation of the
>user interface for the system they are documenting.

I see it as a logical extension of my work: User interfaces should do
most of the things manuals were expected to in the past. And if you do
the user interface right, your manual (and online documentation)
shrink considerably.

>One tool under consideration is "Open Interface Elements" from a US company
>called Neuron Data. The tool is used to place elements like push buttons,
>radio buttons, scroll bars, data entry fields etc. in a window (and link
>to database). Has anybody used "Open Interface Elements"? Would you mind
>sharing your experiences?

Sorry, no.

>Can anybody point me to any other tool for this purpose?

At least one of my customers uses Visual Basic for that purpose.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander
avobert -at- msn -dot- sub -dot- org (Alexander von Obert)
Nuernberg, Germany, Europe, FIDO 2:2490/1719