Long Distance Job Search

Subject: Long Distance Job Search
From: Candace Bamber <cbamber -at- CCINET -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 09:04:02 -0600

Hi
A few days ago I posted a note soliciting info about the job market in
Southern Ontario. I've received many responses, and am feeling very
encouraged about the whole relocation problem. Thank you to those people
who responded. I really appreciate it.

I have another question, but I'm not sure if this is the place for it. As a
freelance/contract-type TC, I always go pitch jobs in person. I have an
excellent portfolio and a strong resume, but I've found that (except for
some desperate people), employers like to meet you face to face before they
give you a job.

My question: Has anyone had success finding a job as a tech communicator
"long distance" (Edmonton is about 3000 km from Toronto)? May I ask what
you did? Can you give me any tips or suggestions?

So far, I've subscrbed to the Globe and Mail, and have my family and
friends checking the London Free Press, the Hamilton Spectator and the
Toronto Star.
This week, I've started contacting recruiters, although if someone could
give me the name of one in the Kitchener-Waterloo area that deals with
people like me, I'd appreciate it. I've sent resumes to anyone I could
think of that might want one, and answered newspaper ads. I'm not very
experienced at this type of marketting (usually I do market research, make
cold calls and send letters to people - it doesn't keep me in mink, but
I've always made a good living)

Anyway, any suggestions, tips, success stories to encourage me, would be
most welcome.

Many thanks

Candace Bamber
(she of no fancy signature)