Re. visual information

Subject: Re. visual information
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 09:28:29 LCL

Rebecca Filardo asked about books on displaying various types fo
visual information. Here are a few good'uns:

William Horton. [couldn't remember the titles, but he's done several
recently on visual design of icons and documentation. Your librarian
can find you a list]

Edward Tufte. The visual display of quantitative information. Also,
Envisioning Information.: (justifiably) two classics.

Jacques Bertin. The semiology of graphics. (There's a French original,
but the english version should be more generally useful to this list,
and since it's much more recent, more likely to be available.) This
one is tough sledding, and I don't always agree with his
recommendations (some of his graphics, for example, are abysmal), but
he explains things well enough that you can adapt his recommendations
to any situation.

Scott McCloud. Understanding comics. The invisible art. [Despite the
bad reputation of "comics", McCloud takes a serious and enlightening
look at communicating simultaneously with words and pictures.]

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.