Re: Word spacing (_not_ line spacing) in Frame

Subject: Re: Word spacing (_not_ line spacing) in Frame
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 11:14:59 -0600

On Tue, 23 May 1995, Bill Burns wrote:

> Matt replied to Richard's response to an original posting about spacing
between
> letters in Frame paragraphs:

> >>Actually, it has alot to do with "smart spaces" and nothing at all to do
> with page 4-21 which deals with line spacing.

> Actually, I think it has more to do with the percentage of spread under the
> default-font properties in the paragraph design. Open the paragraph
> designer and choose Default Font from the properties drop-down menu. At the
> bottom of the middle column is a field labeled "Spread." This spacing, I
> think, is also referred to as kerning. If you change this percentage from 0
> to 5%, you'll notice a pretty significant change in the spacing of the letters
> onscreen. For online viewing, 5% seems to be an optimal setting.

This will work fine if you want to change the _letter_ spacing of an
*entire* paragraph, but I understood that the original poster was trying
to change the _word_ spacing of a single line. Certainly this technique
is a useful one to know about, but I don't think it applies to the
original problem. Your best bet in that situation is still fixed-width
spaces and/or turning off smart spaces.

-Matt Hicks

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.