Re: What are we in French?

Subject: Re: What are we in French?
From: Vincent Reh <VincentR -at- SC -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 08:53:00 EDT

I think it's spelled ecrivain and its the same spelling for both male and
female writers. However, I think redacteur is used to describe a technical
writer; ecrivain is used to describe writers of novels, that sort of thing.

Also, someone questioned whether or not a feminine form exists for
redacteur. As far as I know, it does, so a female TW would describe herself
as "une redactrice."

****Finally, sorry for posting a personal reply to Marc S. to the list. I
wasn't thinking and hit the reply button. It was in French, which made the
gaffe even more embarrassing!****

BTW, I am not a French language expert, just married to one. How about
hearing from some real experts, like all the francophone TWs in La Belle

Vince Reh
Sr. Marketing Writer

vincentr -at- sc -dot- harris -dot- com


Writer: ecrivien (masculine), or ecrivienne (femininine)
Accent ague on first e for both.
Pronounced (ay-cree-vee-en) or (ay-cree-vee-ennn)

I'd say "ecrivienne des choses <whatever the word for 'technical' is>".
Literaaly, that's "Writer of things technical", which approximates the
a French speaker would use.

BTW, "computer" is "ordinateur" (or-dih-nah-tur); "book" is "livre"
Not sure about "manual" or "software"

Have fun in France. Unless your French is pretty good, you won't get much of

chance to talk about what you do for a living. Although many French speak
English, I discovered most prefer not to.

Lori -dot- Moreland -at- cle -dot- ab -dot- com
Tecwriter and Francophile

Previous by Author: Re: What are we in French?
Next by Author: Re: Scripts and voice over
Previous by Thread: Re: What are we in French?
Next by Thread: Re: What are we in French?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads