Re: In & Under

Subject: Re: In & Under
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:25:58 CDT

> Douglas Thayer wrote:
> > In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX,"
> > is there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these
> > be swapped without affecting the meaning of the sentence?

> I believe you have to think of operating systems like governments.
> (By analogy, the OS could be thought of as the computer's government, I
guess.)
> For example, you would say "Taxes were raised under the Reagan
administration."
> Using "in" instead of "under" would not have the same meaning.
> The same idea applies when talking about software working a particular
> way "under Unix" or "under Windows".

Hmmmm...since "Reagan administration" refers either to the group of officials
making up the Reagan government or to the period of time in which Reagan was
president, I would choose the pronouns "by" or "during" rather than "under" in
your example sentence. To use your analogy of operating systems to governments,
you could more correctly say "Ed Meese served as Attorney General in the Reagan
Administration," thereby equating Meese and XXX. :)

> --
> Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
> Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200
> 1080 Main St. Fax: 401-727-4208
> Pawtucket, RI 02860

Again, my two cents' worth...

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA