Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:07:24 -0500

> In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX,"
> is there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these
> be swapped without affecting the meaning of the sentence?

Doug,

I would not swap "in" and "under" because I don't think it makes sense for
something to run *under* an environment. I think that if you swap the
prepositions, the reader will understand, but the sentence would sound
funny.

The preposition I use depends on whether I'm referring to environment,
platform, or operating system. This is how I do it:

XXX runs in the Windows environment

XXX runs on a UNIX platform

XXX runs on the Solaris operating system

Even if I don't include "operating system," "platform," or "environment"
after the name of the product, keeping in mind which I am referring to
helps keep my prepositons consistent. I can't think of any circumstances
when I would use "under."

Hope this helps.

Tammy
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com