Help for new contractor

Subject: Help for new contractor
From: Scott McDaniel <mcdaniel -at- PIONEER -dot- USPTO -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 13:30:11 EDT

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the list, but this is my first post in
quite a while. I've got what should probably go in a FAQ list if
there is one, but here we go...

I'm a fairly new tech writer (less that one yr. experience),
and I'm about to take a freelance project outside of my normal,
full time job. I've got two main concerns:

1) What are my tax responsibilities? I've seen a recent
thread on this that has answered a number of my
questions, but I missed the name and number of the
IRS document that spells out the difference between
employees and independent contractors.

2) How can I keep from being underpaid? I don't have any
idea what the going rate is for a fairly new tech
writer in the D.C. area. Is an hourly charge better than
a flat fee? I will be developing on-line help for a
fairly simple software product to be released in mid or
late July. I will not have to develop the help system,
only the organization and the wording.

I would really appreciate any comments on this, as I will be dealing
with money matters this coming Thursday.

Thanks,
Scott McDaniel

--
Stand hard-disk lame hers up lie. | Scott McDaniel
| Garcia Consulting, Inc.
Why walk onto the edge unless | (703) 412-3662
you're willing to step over? | mcdaniel -at- pioneer -dot- uspto -dot- gov