Re Request for Reviewers

Subject: Re Request for Reviewers
From: Daniel Strychalski <dski -at- CAMEONET -dot- CAMEO -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 03:37:48 +0800

Many thanks to those who responded to my call for volunteer book reviewers.
I've received about the number of responses my friend and I hoped for, and
there's an excellent balance between academics and people in the commercial
sector, so we'll probably go with the group we have now.

If you don't see the request until Monday and you have a special interest in
something of this sort -- evaluating an English book on technical and
scientific writing published in the Far East -- by all means get in touch
with me. I'll do what I can. This is mostly my friend's project. He just
happened to mention that he was looking for impartial reviewers....

We're also lining up reviewers here in Taiwan, which is why we consider it
necessary to excise everything external to the work itself. The excised
material contains names that would be known to some reviewers. Mostly in
Chinese, but techwr-l isn't lacking for polyglots, and we want to be as fair
as possible.

All will be revealed in due time, of course (the book is already *out*, after
all -- and selling well, according to some accounts). There are a few things
that probably should be said now and hopefully can be said without creating
any prejudice one way or the other:

- We will personally show the reviews to a small number of people. We will
not use any review in any other way without the consent of the reviewer.

- Neither my friend nor I wrote the book (not that I thought anyone had
their flamethrower out ;-)...).

- Some people feel very strongly about this book. We have heard that it
might be published in other Chinese-speaking parts of Asia soon. Whether
it is or not, it is in our field, and a respectable number of people in
our field who've seen it think attention should be paid to it.

Thanks again, to the reviewers-to-be for volunteering and to everyone for
your time.
Dan Strychalski
dski -at- cameonet -dot- cameo -dot- com -dot- tw