Re: Names for symbols

Subject: Re: Names for symbols
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 10:34:28 -0400

>>According to "Mark My Words: Instruction and Practice in
Proofreading," by Peggy Smith of Editorial Experts, the symbol # is
called an octothorp, space sign, or grating.

So here's the question: how did the octothorp become more commonly
known as the pound sign?<<

Although I struggled mightily, I finally gave up calling # a "sharp", which
is what it is in music notation. It seems that "pound sign" is the most
common name today, but don't forget its use as a substitute for the word
"number" (as in #2).

Sue Stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com

Previous by Author: Re: Innate ability
Next by Author: Re: Scripts & voice over
Previous by Thread: Re: Consultant Pay
Next by Thread: Re: Names for symbols

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads