Re: Re. virgules

Subject: Re: Re. virgules
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 09:05:22 -0400

Another comment about these terms (virgules, solidus, etc. (even this one)) --
we should always consider our user audience before we use high-phalutin'
terms! Unless the words are industry standard
in a particular field, your general user population will probably have
no clue what they mean. Moreover, non-standard (uncommon) words are difficult
to translate (I have to think about this all the time, because my docs are
translated into Japanese).
> I've never heard the forward slash (/) called a virgule... generally,
> this is called a "solidus". A virgule, at least in these French
> locales, is a comma (although Webster's does say a "virgule" is a
> diagonal, hence, a slash... hmmm...). All else being equal, I prefer a
> "forward slash". (Does this make \ an "elugriv"?)

> --Geoff Hart #8^{)}
> geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

> Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
> of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.

Previous by Author: Re: What do you call this?
Next by Author: Re: McDonald's coffee
Previous by Thread: Re. virgules
Next by Thread: Comma, Comma, Comma Results

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads