Re: Titles for Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Titles for Tech Writers
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 19:16:39 PDT

> Since I get to select my own title in the new
>company, I need to decide what to call myself. I rather like the term IBM
>uses: 'information developer' since it impiles
> 1)organizing and designing, as well as writing and
> 2)online as well as printed material.
>I figured I'd also add the word 'senior' for the sake of my resume. (Just
>in case, you know...) I've been writing manuals and online help since 1989,
>so I figure that's not unreasonable.

>Any thoughts on appropriate job titles under the circumstances?

"Information Developer" sounds like you make things up. These are
all good:

* Technical Editor
* Technical Publications Manager
* Technical Writing Manager
* Director of Corporate Communications
* Executive Vice President in Charge of Wombat Sanitation
* Tsar of All the Russias

In small banks, everyone's a vice president. This concept is worth
emulating.

-- Robert