Digital Signatures

Subject: Digital Signatures
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 10:30:45 EST

Text item: Text_1

Hi gang,

I seem to remember that about a month ago we were discussing the
legitimacy of electronic signatures. So some of you might be
interested in this information from 'Edupage'.

DIGITAL SIGNATURE GAIN LEGITIMACY
A law recently passed in Utah recognizes digital signatures as legally
binding, and legislators in California and Washington are considering
following suit. The Utah law is based on public key encryption, where
companies and individuals register their public keys with a
certification authority, which then uses them to decode messages
created with private keys, verifying the senders' identities.
Computer security companies, banks and the U.S. Postal Service all are
expected to offer certification services. (Information Week 5/8/95
p.24)

Edupage is written by John Gehl (gehl -at- educom -dot- edu) & Suzanne Douglas
(douglas -at- educom -dot- edu). Voice: 404-371-1853, Fax: 404-371-8057

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com

*A woman is not complete until she is married; then, she is finished.*
(Just to get back at Terry!) ;)