Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 30 Apr 19

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 30 Apr 19
From: Lana Britanik <lana -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 16:27:47 MST

> Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 30 Apr 19
> Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>

> -Alex
> -the frozen student, a decade in the making- wrote:

> I am interested in importing x-windows captures into a WFW 6.0 file. Has
> anyone done this? Does anyone know where I can locate a filter for Word
> 6.0 or an X-windows capturing program that might convert .xwd files to
> .gifs, jpgs and so on. I would be very happy to hear from anyone with
> expertise in this area. If you prefer to post to me privately, please
> send mail to wilderland -at- aol -dot- com or szcz0002 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu -dot-

Hello,
My name is Lana Britanik and I'm new to this list..

If your X-windows system has "xv" program you can use
that program instead of the window dump (xwd).
The steps for capturing a window (or picture or whatever)
are as follows:
1) bring up xv program by typing: xv <CR> at your x-windows
prompt. This should bring up a window with the XV logo in it.
2) move the mouse pointer inside the xv-logo window and click on
the right most button. This should bring up an "xv controls"
window.
3) find the "Grab" button and press it once with the left most
mouse button.
4) move the mouse pointer to the picture/window you need to capture.
and press the left most button once again.
-make sure the window is on top of any other just like when
using the window dump program.
5) The new picture should appear in the xv-logo window (replace
the logo).
6) Then move back to the "xv control" window and press the "Save"
button. This should bring up a menu of several file formats that
you can save your picture/window in including gif, jpeg postScript....

Hope that helps!

Lana Britanik :)
lana -at- noao -dot- edu