[no subject]

From: news -at- BUBBA -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 01:42:45 CDT

To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
From: staff -at- sasknet -dot- sk -dot- ca
Subject: Re: Manuals -> HTML?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 21:12:27 -0600

In article <rturnage-2804951554560001 -at- port28 -dot- ventura -dot- rain -dot- org>,
rturnage -at- rain -dot- org (Robert Turnage) wrote:

> I'm doing a large tech manual (approx. 225 pgs) for a client who wants me
> to convert it to pages for their Web site. Half of the manual is an
> appendix with multiple tables per page. I've heard that HTML is lacking
> in this area. I have both PC and Mac environments, and own Pagemaker
> (PC/Mac), Frame4 (PC), Word (PC/Mac), and Quark (Mac). I know there are a
> lot of converters/filters out there that work, but have no firsthand
> experience. Can anyone who has experience in this area point me in the
> right direction or give me any advice?

___________________________

Getting tables on a web page usually means inserting them as graphics,
which is going to slow down viewing considerably. You can do some things
with preformatted text blocks and horizontal rules, but it's pretty crude.
Future versions of html are going to support tables, but that doesn't help
much either.

What is the purpose of putting such a document on the web? Who is it
aimed at? How will it be used? Perhaps there are better methods (such as
PDFs) for putting the information on-line.

--
Tim Wilkes | Where are we going,
SaskTel Internet | and what am I doing
| in this handbasket?