Re: WRITERS vs ENGINEERS

Subject: Re: WRITERS vs ENGINEERS
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 09:19:00 -0600

Seems like all of the bantering about writers and engineers points to
some level of insecurity amongst us tech writers. Are we as "good" as the
engineer/programmers. Hmmm...

Actually, it's a normal human reaction. We get into a field which interests us
(that's the only reason I can imagine someone writing for a living, the
financial rewards certainly aren't there). Because it interests us, it doesn't
seem as bad as other fields. Therefore it is a better/harder/whatever field.

We've seen a similar point of view coming from and engineering perspective just
recently.

I've done (still do occasionally) programming, my oldest daughter (still in
school) does engineering and my wife does accounting. All these fields look
simple from the outside, but as you get more involved in them you realize how
complex they are. I've no reason to assume this isn't true for other professions
as well.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124