Re[2]: Technical writing vs. engineering

Subject: Re[2]: Technical writing vs. engineering
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 09:08:00 -0600

All I'm trying
to say is that *to me* technical writing is not as complicated and
intense as the things that engineers learn and develop. I'm not saying
that engineering is "superior" or that technical communication is
insignificant.

What was present in your post that she and others found objectionable was the
somewhat arrogant assertion that a single class in writing was enough to give
you sufficient knowledge to make an accurate assessment of the complexity of the
field. I'm sure you'd be the first to jump down the throat of someone who took a
one-semester survey of civil engineering and said "It's not such a complex
field. All you have to do is look up some numbers in tables and do a little
math."

I 'll be the first to admit that's a very simplistic view of C. E., and I wasn't
intending it to be anything else. But you also will have to admit that your view
of tech writing is equally simplistic, and based on an equally inadequate amount
of knowledge. That's what makes it seem uncomplicated.

Every profession looks easy to those who aren't familiar with it.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124