[no subject]

From: Robin Kiszka-Kanowitz <rkk -at- GNC -dot- DK>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:47:00 +0200

Re: An On-Line Help System for Various Platforms

Maybe someone can give me some help as regards implementing a system
which allows for on-line help on the following platforms :

OS/MOTIF
MS-Windows
Character-based terminals.

We have a software package that runs on Oracle (i.e. UNIX) and
is very modular in design. We want to use some form of on-line
help system which will replace the printed manuals which
we now provide to our customers.

In brief, the on-line help must be able to identify some specific
run-time variables so that it can correctly show the relevant
help text for the platform being used as well as the combination
of software modules which the user has installed. This is because
we want to create one document which will cater for all the platforms
and software combinations. If we don't do this, there may be as many as
80 documents to manage.

Furthermore, a system that links directly with Oracle Forms will be
most welcome.

We have attempted to use Oracle's 'Oracle Book' product, but there are
some shortcomings with this product. If anyone has any suggestions and
can help me here then I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks
Robin