Re: Hall of Fame (was Technic...

Subject: Re: Hall of Fame (was Technic...
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 09:05:26 -0500

Ron replied to me by saying in part:

>It would be impossible to name specific tech writers since most of us write
>in relative anonimity.

> I certainly don't look for accolades
> for my work.

>Ron

My point exactly, and I'm not trying to change that fact. I am only saying that
it is something to think about. Technical writing is like other
professions in that way. How do you know if an MD is any good? Perhaps
a friend or another doctor recommended him or her to you.

Healthy patients and good manuals may "speak" well of the professional
who helped contribute to them, but they don't bear their signatures.

More thinking: How, then, do other professionals become known to their
peers? My guess is through publication in journals of medical research
or applied medicine. They probably don't all do it for accolades, either,
but instead publish to distribute information to others.

For this reason, I see journals such as _Technical Communication_ as
serving a great purpose to our profession, which Grant origninally referred
to as "immature" (young).

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser technical writer for COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com 1994-1995 OK Chapter President,
Society for Technical Communication

<=*=> Ethernet (n): Something used to catch the Etherbunny. <=*=>