Re: third party manuals

Subject: Re: third party manuals
From: Wm Blank <wmblank -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 23:19:24 -0700

I just got a free copy of CorelFlow (legitimately; a gift from the
company for entering their contest). I've used flow charting software
for basic org charts and nothing else. CorelFlow looks like it's an
interesting product with 100's of icons and shapes and symbols and
photos. Like several pages of pieces of human faces and bodies in
diverse variations of shape and color. Pieces of houses and furniture
and flags of all nations and kids on skateboards and women in lab coats.
OK, I'm a little short on imagination (I'm a tech writer after all) but
I have absolutely no clue how anyone would ever find this stuff useful
in doing what - I surmise - the program might do. The manual tells how
to move shapes, how to change their styles, how to draw lines and cap
them with 47 different arrowheads. But I would like a book with examples
of what you can do with this program - finished product if you will -
and then step-by-steps of how to replicate them, to open my eyes to a
new piece of the technical communication pie. Corel does not tell you
why this software might be more useful than vintage 1992 shareware
flowcharting things. So I guess I need third party manuals to open my
eyes to what the software will help me do after I play with it for a
while, so that I'll *want* to (buy it if I don't already have it and)
play with it after I get it.