Re: Computer Market Share

Subject: Re: Computer Market Share
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 12:20:48 -0600

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Arlen P. Walker wrote:

> The bottom line is > that neither platform has locked the other out of
any given arena. I look > forward to many long years of competition. After
all, the worst thing that could > happen to Microsoft would be the demise
of Apple. They wouldn't have any place > left to steal good ideas from.
(Can anyone name a single thing MS invented?) > They'd finally have to do
some inventing on their own. ;{>}

While I do not condone some of the market practices of MS any more than
anyone else, I do feel that it is only fair to point out that many of the
features we like on the Apple were originally developed for Apple by
MS--including the friendly interface--or so the research I did for one of
my classes last year indicated. One of the major reasons for the legal
battle over Windows is the fact that Apple had a contract with MS to
prevent them from duplicating code they had developed for Apple. Apple
felt that the Windows interface came too close to the same code.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
The body of every organization is structured from four kinds of
bones. There are the wishbones, who spend all their time wishing
someone would do the work. Then there are the sawbones, who do
all the talking, but little else. The knucklebones knock every-
thing anybody else tries to do. Fortunately, in every organization
there are also the backbones, who get under the load and do most
of the work. --Leo Aikman, _On Bones_