Re: Discuss: Third party manuals?

Subject: Re: Discuss: Third party manuals?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 11:50:36 -0600

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Lindamood, Brad wrote:

> Unfortunately, one reason I can think of (having nothing to do with
> the quality of the third-party manuals) is software piracy. When
> someone obtains an illegal copy of software, or takes home something
> they use at work, they need a manual to go along with it. I'm not
> condoning this practice, of course, just recognizing that it exists.

In regard to this, it should also be recognized that frequently companies
buy licenses for multiple users--but only receive one copy of the
documentation. This can be mislaid, wind up in one person's possession,
or otherwise be inconvenient to locate when needed. I know that where I
worked last year it was strongly recommended that if I wanted access to
a manual on Frame I should locate one at the local bookstore as the
original manual was "at home" where the head writer could practice during
the evening hours.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
The body of every organization is structured from four kinds of
bones. There are the wishbones, who spend all their time wishing
someone would do the work. Then there are the sawbones, who do
all the talking, but little else. The knucklebones knock every-
thing anybody else tries to do. Fortunately, in every organization
there are also the backbones, who get under the load and do most
of the work. --Leo Aikman, _On Bones_