Computer Market Share

Subject: Computer Market Share
From: QMS Account <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 13:05:47 +0800

I was determined not to enter the Mac/PC discussion, but some`
of the statements (in quotes below) by others were so off the mark
I decided to add my comments. I suggest that anyone who wants to
continue this topic, do so by e-mail and not clutter the
list for others.

"The Apple PowerBook
outsells all other laptops compbined. The PowerBook went form 0% marketshare
to 67% in just a couple of years. In the graphics/publishing industry
IBM/Dos/Windows machines are fairly nonexistent. Same with multimedia. Apple
owns these markets. Their marketshare isn't mroe than 50%--it's more than
95%. Go to a service bureau and ask to run out your IBM file. You'll have to
look high and lo to find someone to do it."

Apple is 4th in laptop market share. Toshiba has been #1 for years. (Dataquest)
I believe that the IBM Butterfly will become a big factor.

Apple has 21% of the multimedia market. (Dataquest)
Packard Bell is #1 in the US in MM.
You should compare Apple with PCs, not with individual brands.

Any service bureau that does not run IBM files will be out of
business soon. Every SB I know can handle either type.

"Apple's market share is growing slowly but steadily"

1991, 10.8%; 1992, 12.6%; 1993 10.2%; 1994, 9%. (Dataquest)

Bob Morrisette
Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM