Re: TW classifications

Subject: Re: TW classifications
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:13:32 -0400

>>Writers with less than three years experience seem to spend most of
their time learning to collect information, conduct interviews, and
communicating thier findings on paper. In other words, they are
learning the craft of Technical Writing.<<

Unless, of course, they have *journalism degrees*, or techwriting degrees
based in the *school of journalism* rather than the English department, in
which case they are TAUGHT these skills, along with how to get to work and
get the job done.

Guy Oliver has some interesting and not inappropriate ideas on the skill
levels of technical writing; however, tying the levels to years of experience
is often inappropriate. I have known TW with only a few years of experience
who were as skillful and multi-faceted as the "ten-year" writer Guy defines.
I've also known some folks with 15 years or more experience who are still
beginners.

>>I haven't had the privilege of working with any writers that have much
more than ten years experience.<<

Reading this statement, I thought: Boy, do I feel OLD.

>> I suspect, however, that the professional growth
of a technical writer significantly diminishes after 10 years of
experience.<<

No, darlin', you keep growing or you turn into petrified wood. You look for
new challenges and new ways to do things, and you try to get better. If you
stop learning, your brain dies and you become one of those lumps of
protoplasm waiting for retirement. In fact, because of more background, you
get *better* at finding opportunities for professional development. You know
how to focus your development rather than being overwhelmed by the many
subjects available.

sue stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com