Re: Mac Advice

Subject: Re: Mac Advice
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 10:20:04 -0600

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Dan Montagne wrote:

> I need some advice. I will be starting a new job soon in which I will be
> using a Mac (not my choice), and my manager has asked me to select whatever
> software I will need to document a PC-based application that runs under
> OS/2. I am currently using Word and Ventura on a PC. I know absolutely
> nothing about Macs and what runs on them, other than that Word runs on a
> Mac.

> Gven that my manager wants me to create online help for this PC-based
> application, does it even make sense to use a Mac (leaving aside for the
> moment that my manager *says* it does)? That is, is there some way to write
> help on a Mac so that it will run under OS/2? Also, what are the
> compatibility issues? For example, how will I capture screens under OS/2
> and use them on a Mac? If you were in this situation, what software would
> you choose if you could choose anything? Or would it be better to plead for
> a PC?

Well, you don't say what kind of Mac you'll be using, but if it's a Power Mac
I'd plead for a PC card for it. I believe that there are some available that
include their own version of OS/2. Then you can run your OS/2 application and
help program in addition to the apps you'll need under the Mac OS. Screen
captures shouldn't represent a big problem; there are many free or
inexpensive apps and utilities that will convert about any graphic format you
hand them. Or, if you can run the OS/2 and Mac programs concurrently on a
PC-card-equipped Mac (and I'm not sure if you can or if it's an either-one-
or-the-other deal) then you could use a Mac-based screen capture utility to
grab the OS/2 screens and you'd be good to go.

I haven't used such a system before, so I can't guarantee that it would
go without a hitch, but I think it would be worth looking into in the
environment you've described.

Good luck.

-Matt Hicks