Re: Font readability?

Subject: Re: Font readability?
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 19:59:02 GMT

-> > Okay, here's a question for you usability types. An engineer
-> > in our company is trying to make us change the font we use
-> > from a sans serif to a serif type. He claims that serif is
-> > more readable. Does anyone have some data (studies, hard
-> > evidence) to back one style or the other?

-> Rolf F. Rehe, in "Typography" (Design Research International), my
-> favourite source for type information, has this to say:

This is partly cultural. The reading I've done (I was a typesetter for
20 years before going back to college to take up tech writing) seems to
suggest that European readers find sans serif fonts easier to read, vice
North Americans who prefer serif fonts. Take your pick, just make sure
you use proper left and right quotes, and Em-dashes instead of hyphens
where needed.

With tech writers being expected to be more involved in the final
production of the books, they MUST acquire typographic literacy.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500