Re: Ratio of Programmers (or Manuals) to Writers in Software

Subject: Re: Ratio of Programmers (or Manuals) to Writers in Software
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 16:59:12 GMT

-> > We are trying to appropriately staff a software development group w
-> > writers. One manager wants to know what an "average" ratio of write
-> > programmers would be. The software has a history of being under-doc

-> In my current shop there are about 40 coders and lil old me. In my la
-> shop there were about 100 coders and 2 of us twirlers. Current shop i
-> commercial development environment and the last gig was a corporate H
-> of an insurance company. Be interesting to see if 40 or 50 to 1 is "a

The ratio of tech writers to engineers would also depend on how
productive the engineers are -- it's all I can do to keep up with 7 or 8
of them, hence my recent headhunting forays.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500