Re: Audience analysis

Subject: Re: Audience analysis
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 17:33:55 EDT

David Dubin wrote:

>>>I have been tasked to create a presentation on audience assessment. Although
I have my own methods and source material, I would still appreciate hearing from
anyone else who wishes to share methods and knowledge.<<<

My method for assessing audiences is rather structured: I fill out a "document
worksheet" on each document *before* I begin writing. Often, this requires a
separate meeting. The items on the worksheet are as follows:

Title of document:

Who is the document for?
Internal readers:
External readers:

What is the purpose of this document?
Specific technical problem:
General business problem:

What will the document cover?
Scope/topics:
Technical reviewers:

What will the document look like?
Estimated length:
Size:
Production method (media, binding):
Distribution method:
Will other people need to edit this document?

What is the document s timetable?
Date needed:
Review schedule:

By the time I'm done asking enough questions to fill out the worksheet, I have a
pretty comprehensive audience analysis. I also have a good idea about the
production and maintenance the document will require. Filling out this worksheet
before I start writing gives me a much more specific idea of what my assignment
actually is.

Emily Skarzenski
Head Technical Writer
Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com