Help: File Conversions and Importing Graphics

Subject: Help: File Conversions and Importing Graphics
From: "Elizabeth A. Kibler" <eak -at- SDSP -dot- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 05:11:04 PST

Hi all. I really hope some of you can help with my problem.

First:

I'm currently working on a project where I need to convert files from Ventura
(4.2) for PC to FrameMaker 4 for PC. I have Ventura 5, but I've never had the
opportunity to use it. (I do know how to use Frame.)

I've tried to import the files directly from Ventura into Frame, it doesn't
work.
I've tried to open the files in Ventura and save them to text files. I couldn't
figure out how. (It SEEMS as though this should be pretty straight forward, but
I didn't figure it out.) What can I/should I do?

The Ventura version also has several graphic files that need to be converted.
(I believe they are .pcx files). I can bring them into Frame, but I can't
scale them (and still retain the whole image). Any suggestions? Previously
I've just created my own drawings or have used various clip art packages
supplied with the software.

Second:

The larger question is that I definitely NEED TO and WANT TO learn more about
all of this stuff (converting files/learning about
drivers/compatibility/importing different types of graphics, etc--I don't know
how to title the topic, but I need all of it.) and I don't know where to start.
Can any recommend books, articles, or any information that may be of help?

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. Please direct your responses to
me, not the list. If others are interested, I can summarize the responses.

Thanks!

Liz K
eak -at- sdsp -dot- mc -dot- xerox -dot- com