Re: Where does the glossary belong?

Subject: Re: Where does the glossary belong?
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 11:22:50 IST

Which would you choose?

** I used to use a page format with good big margins, where we would
stick definitions that might be necessary for the reader who
randomly accesses the page. We repeated the definitions freely.
The system worked OK when there weren't too many funny words
popping up too often.

In any case, I don't think the reader can be expected to digest
a glossary before encountering the terms in context. If the
terms need to be introduced in advance, I think they should
be explained not alphabetically but in a logical sequence of
text paragraphs, with illustrations if possible. ("There are
several kinds of shmurgles. One is a scrongle, used to frabtelize
a glonker as shown in the following illustration...")

A glossary at the back of the book is always a good idea.