Where does the glossary belong?

Subject: Where does the glossary belong?
From: Edunetics <edunet -at- ZEUS -dot- DATASRV -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:20:19 +0200

Hi all,

I decide to put a glossary into the first chapter of my user manual. The
first chapter is all about Getting Started, and the glossary contains
terms that the user should be familiar with before beginning to use or
read the manual. Most of these terms are explained again when they are
used. As it turns out the glossary is already 4 pages long and I think it
should go into an Appendix. However, I'm reluctant not to explain important
terms before using them. Here are my alternatives:

1. Leave the huge glossary in the first chapter.

2. Keep a small version of the glossary in the first chapter. This would
include terms that I feel must be defined early on (like browser, activity..)
and put the entire glossary in an Appendix.

3. Keep a section that refers the user to the glossary in
the Appendix, recommending that the user leaf through it at this time (we know
they'll never do that)

4. Forget the glossary in the first chapter business and make sure I
define every term before using it. The problem with this method is that
usually people will read through the Getting Started chapter and then
just refer to the sections they need in the rest of the manual. In this
case they'll probably miss the definition anyways.

Which would you choose?

Thanks
Chani Sacharen
edunet -at- zeus -dot- datasrv -dot- co -dot- il