Re: Query: What do we call the list?

Subject: Re: Query: What do we call the list?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:51:55 MST

The best that I can determine from the Internet reference books
at hand, the correct way to refer to these is

LISTSERV mailing lists
or
Listserv mailing lists

Listserv is the name of the program that does the work. I don't
know what the programmers had in mind when they called it that:
they may have been thinking "list server" or "list service."
Or neither. Maybe the list owner can look in his Listserv
documentation for an answer...

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=
===============
Jan Boomsliter suggested the following names in response to a
question from Samantha Burtlesse--
Let's see: list service, internet list service, email, email customer
list, customer email list, - that's it!

(In any case, I don't recommend "serves." What the heck IS that?"

jb
(snip)
Is there a term, other than List serve, that would be
easily recognized by the "outside world"? Another
writer here thought that electronic discussion forum
might be nice. Any other ideas?
(snip)
Samantha Burtless
burtless -at- trg -dot- trglink -dot- com