QUERY: Use of singular/plural in product description

Subject: QUERY: Use of singular/plural in product description
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 10:32:46 MDT

I'm currently editing a manuscript on solar domestic hot water
systems. In describing the various systems and components, the author
generally uses the plural form ("Direct active systems use
heat-transfer fluids." as opposed to "A direct active system uses a
heat-transfer fluid."

I was wondering, is there a reason to use one over the other or is it
personal preference?

Send answers directly to me; I will summarize to the group later.

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov