Re: Uncooperative SMEs

Subject: Re: Uncooperative SMEs
From: Donna Ellis <DLE -at- ALPHA -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:01:06 -0700

I have a method for dealing with uncooperative SMEs that
has worked very well and probably relates to my experience
as a journalist.

When someone doesn't want to talk to you, go find somebody
else who does. Maybe that second person can't give you all
or even half the data you need, but if you at least have
half, it is easier to tease the information out of SME
(correction: it is easier to tease the rest of the information)
out of SME #1.

In fact, SME #1 might experience a change in attitude.

This almost always worked when I was interviewing slimeball
politicians and arrogant bureaucrats, and it has always
worked for me with uncooperative SMEs.

Donna Ellis
Senior Technical Writer
Sunquest Information Systems, Inc.