Re: Proper noun use... update

Subject: Re: Proper noun use... update
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 06:56:06 MST

Well, Sonja's clarification raises a question for me: Is the
Broadband Network Analyzer a piece of equipment? Or is it
software? Strange as it may seem, that would make a difference.
If it is a piece of equipment, I think "the" would be necessary.
If it is software, I think the decision can go either way and
that it is merely a style choice.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=
=*= =*= =*=
Sonja clarified--
Previously I wrote:
<snip>
Our problem relates to the way we should refer to the product when we
use its full name (the proper noun). The name is three
words long. For example, do we say

"X Y Z can do some amazing stuff."
"The X Y Z can do some amazing stuff."

It really gets down to if there should be a *the* before a proper noun.
<snip>

To make it all clearer, here's some examples with the *real* name.

"Broadband Network Analyzer can do some amazing stuff."
"The Broadband Network Analyzer can do some amazing stuff."
"Use Broadband Network Analyzer to perform blah blah tasks."
"Use the Broadband Network Analyzer to perform blah blah tasks."

Now what do you think? Thanks very much to those who have already replied.
Could
you please let me know if this changes your minds?