Re: Proper noun use

Subject: Re: Proper noun use
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 01:07:31 -0500

Sonja,

If it's a software product, you'll probably want to drop the "the," (as in
"FrameMaker doesn't crash as often as Word"); if it's a hardware product,
you'd do better to keep the definite article (as in, "The new Maxtor just
arrived in the mail.")

...JS

>It really gets down to if there should be a *the* before a proper noun. At
first
>it may seem a simple question, but trying it with lots of proper nouns we
are no
>longer sure what to write.

Joanna Sheldon
Technical Writer, Translator
(French, German, Italian)
cjs10 -at- cornell -dot- edu

"One must never let a euphemism or a false consolation pass uncontested."
Christopher Hitchens