PDF, SGML, and what else?

Subject: PDF, SGML, and what else?
From: Leonor Ciarlone <lciarlone -at- NORWOOD -dot- INTELLUTION -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 10:01:16 EST

I'm currently searching for a solution to a "missing link"
in my company's electronic information system. The
system in place (some envisioned) consists of
quick-reference, context-sensitive help(WinHelp), product
tutorial(MMToolbook), interactive, context-sensitive
mini-tutorials(release WIN95), and book-based
electronic documentation(???).

The missing link is a big one, as I would like take our
paper-based doc (conceptual, graphical, linear
material, application-oriented) and provide it online as a
standalone system. Acceptable printing capabilities
required for users unhappy with this choice.

The question is this: The book-based viewer market seems
smaller than I thought in terms of source format.
Postscript/PDF will get to Adobe/Wordperfect and SGML has
many choices (but a daunting road even with converters). I
dont consider a topic-based solution (like WinHelp) a good
choice because of the nature of the engine and the
re-structuring/maintenance required. (Opening the
can of worms as to the difference between "online help" and
"online documentation").

What are the thoughts out there? Am I missing something in
my research? Thanks in advance.

Leonor Ciarlone, Senior Technical Writer
Intellution, Inc. lciarlone -at- intellution -dot- com