Use of color

Subject: Use of color
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:31:34 LCL

In discussing the use of color for online/GUI information, Sue
Gallagher wrote: <<First, the human brain can only assign meaning to
six colors at any one time.>>

This needs a minor clarification, with apologies to Sue for treading
on her turf. The idea of humans being able to deal with only six
colors at a time comes from research by a fellow named George Miller
("The magic number seven plus or minus two"). What Miller observed was
not that the human mind is so limited, but rather that the majority of
us hairless house apes can deal effectively with about seven discrete
labels or bits of context simultaneously (which is why phone numbers
have seven digits, in case you were wondering). Those of us who fall
below the average (me, for instance), may be limited to only five
(7-2) labels/pieces of context, whereas good chess players should be
able to handle nine (7+2). The point? The more visual cues you force
viewers to deal with, the more likely some of them won't be able to
cope or cope well; the corollary to this is that the fewer cues you
use, the more of your audience will understand and the easier it will
be for the majority to understand. This is why most good design guides
recommend simplicity.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---the "8" is eyeglasses, not my channel
capacity!