Re: Odd Pages

Subject: Re: Odd Pages
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:40:16 EST

Kelly Burhenne said that all chapters should start on page 1:

>This is so standard (for good reason) that it's really not even
>worth talking about!

I'm sorry, I missed the reason.

I can only -assume- that each chapter starting on page 1 derives from
a page numbering system of: 1-X, 2-X, 3-X, and so forth.

Why are we so adverse to page numbering like a novel? Was there a study
done on enhanced usability that I've missed? Why is it important for the
user to know that the task in use is on the 27th page of chapter 3, as
opposed to being on page 87? As Bev pointed out, if it's a matter of trying
to chunk subjects together, there are other ways to do this.

At the very least, "novel" page numbering makes my life easier, as I don't
have to struggle with FrameMaker's # -at- %! system of chapter numbering.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com