Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:10:57 PST

John McDermott feels:

> As a user can I say that I *really like* that practice? I *hate* the blank
> pages, but I really like the chap-page numbering format. When I open a book
> to page 6-7 I know I'm in Chapter 6, the chapter on whatsits. I likewise
> know to go forward to Chapter 9 the chapter on thingies. If I open to page
> 110, the question is, "what chapter is this." Some books do not have
> headers and/or footers with chapter and section headings: it is just a
> reality.

Another way around your this is to continue to use sequential page
numbering, and put the chapter number/name in the footer. This is how
I do it, and it looks great. An odd page looks something like this:

<rule above from left to right margin>
Chapter 2 Learning Reference Manager 43

That way you solve both issues -- you always know where you are in
the book in relation to the page you want to be on, and you always
know what chapter you're in...

FWIW...
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com