Re: Testing

Subject: Re: Testing
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 17:44:49 GMT

-> 3. What if you don't even know who the company is? Those are the toug
-> ones, I didn't have to face that as often as most of the ads in the B
-> papers gave company names. I'd just look for whatever I could get. Ag
-> I'd look at what they wanted, and try to match it against my backgrou

In that case, respond anonymously. If they can't be honest about who
they are, why should you give them any personal information?

Other tactics: Create a person, then create a resume that fits their
specifications precisely. Use a trusted friend as an 'answering service'
or mail drop for this fictitious individual (you did study fiction as an
undergrad, yes?). Then when the anonymous company calls your imaginary
friend in for an interview and admits who they are, your trusted
friend can say "Sorry, Mr. Fictitious already got a job somewher else
but thanks anyway", and you now have all the info you need to target
your own resume perfectly.

Dishonest? Perhaps, but no more so than expecting people to respond to a
blind ad that could even be their own employer out fishing for your
replacement.